• Hello and welcome! Register to enjoy full access and benefits:

• Advertise in the Marketplace section for free.
    • Get more visibility with a signature link.
    • Company/website listings.
    • Ask & answer queries.
    • Much more...

Register here or log in if you're already a member.

Are you still using Windows 7 in 2024?

Bittebor

Reaction score
Balance
$0.4USD
When Windows Vista was released, I didn't want to upgrade from Windows XP. And now, Windows 11 is the latest Microsoft Windows Operating System, but I still prefer Windows 7. Maybe Microsoft's new OS versions are worse than the previous ones thats why most of us stick with Windows 7.

Firefox, Google Chrome, and many other software have stopped supporting Windows 7.

Even CPUs and other hardware no longer support Windows 7. Are you still using Windows 7, and what is the reason? How have you managed to survive on Windows 7 until now?

Albert

Reaction score
Balance
$0.0USD
Yes!

I am still using Windows 7 because Windows 10 and 11 really suck. They're full of spyware.

I love the Windows 7 UI. No forced reboots, no spyware, and no pressure to give my personal data to Microsoft servers.

Microsoft is secretly pressuring manufacturers and software developers to ditch Windows 7 support. Otherwise, only a few lines of code would be needed to maintain support for Windows 7.

I saw a discussion on one of the most popular software forums where only 20 lines of code were needed to add support for Windows 7.

daniel6

Reaction score
Balance
$0.1USD
Even CPUs and other hardware no longer support Windows 7.
Agreed, Intel and AMD no longer support Windows 7.

Are you still using Windows 7, and what is the reason?
I am using both Windows 11 and Windows 7. Windows 11 is far better than Windows 7. However, software compatibility and migration are issues. I cannot take on the burden of migrating the customizations I have made. Therefore, I have Windows 11 installed on my new desktop computer and Windows 7 on my older computer.

How have you managed to survive on Windows 7 until now?
I switched from Firefox to Pale Moon, which still supports Windows 7, and Supermium is a Chromium-based browser. So you can use alternative of Google Chrome.

I am still using Windows 7 because Windows 10 and 11 really suck. They're full of spyware.

I love the Windows 7 UI. No forced reboots, no spyware, and no pressure to give my personal data to Microsoft servers.
You can use any OS you like, but try Windows 11 temporarily, and you won't look back.

Mike

Reaction score
Balance
$0.6USD
Windows 7 was popular for nearly a decade due to its reliability, usefulness, and compatibility. But Windows 7 in 2024 is risky. This article addresses Windows 7's pros and downsides, why some users stay, the risks of obsolete software, and how to switch.

Pros of Windows 7 / Advantage of Windows Seven​

Although deprecated, Windows 7 still has some advantages for some users:
  1. The simplicity and familiarity of Windows 7's UI remain unsurpassed for many. Long-time OS users find it straightforward to manage with a low learning curve.
  2. Backward Compatibility: Windows 7 supports previous software. For companies employing obsolete systems, legacy software, especially specialized applications, may only run on Windows 7.
  3. Low Hardware Requirements: Windows 7 runs on older hardware without updates, making it affordable for low-income users.

Cons of Windows 7 / Disadvantages of Windows 7

Microsoft Windows 7 has pros and cons, which are becoming obvious in 2024:
  1. Software Incompatibility: New software and apps are optimized for the latest OS. Modern productivity tools and browsers no longer support Windows 7.
  2. Lack of New Features: Windows 7 lacks new features including increased security, performance, and user interfaces featured in later Windows versions.
  3. Compliance challenges: Windows 7 may provide compliance challenges for enterprises, especially with security standards. Penalties or legal action may occur.

Reasons Some Users Still Stick with Windows 7

Some users utilize Windows 7 despite its flaws:
  • Cost: Upgrading to a new OS frequently involves new hardware, which can be costly. Windows 7 may appear like the only alternative for budget-conscious people.
  • Compatibility Needs: Some users utilize software incompatible with current operating systems. Upgrading could mean losing key tools or paying for expensive software updates.
  • Comfort and Familiarity: Change can be scary, especially for non-technical people. Some keep Windows 7 because they like the familiar interface and workflow.
  • Infrequent Use: Some users only use their computer periodically for simple chores that don't require the latest software or security. Their hazards of keeping on Windows 7 may seem low.

Risks of Using Windows 7 in 2024​

Risks outweigh benefits of using Windows 7 in 2024:
  1. Increased Cyber Attack Vulnerability: Windows 7 is more vulnerable without security updates. Cyber-criminals seek obsolete systems because vulnerabilities will remain unpatched. This compromises personal, financial, and other sensitive data.
  2. Data Loss and Corruption: Malware, ransom ware, and system failures all cause data loss without effective security. Data recovery might be expensive, complex, or impossible.
  3. Software Support Loss: As developers focus on newer operating systems, Windows 7 support will decline. Losing access to critical apps could hinder productivity.
  4. Compliance and Legal Risks: Businesses utilizing Windows 7 may violate data protection laws and face fines.

Alternatives to Windows 7​

Microsoft Windows 7 alternatives offer better security, new features, and support:
  • Windows 10 or 11: Windows users can upgrade simplest to Windows 10 or 11. Both OSes include regular upgrades, security improvements, and program compatibility. Virtual desktops, new UI, and enhanced gaming performance are in Windows 11.
  • Linux: Free alternatives Ubuntu and Mint offer robust security, frequent updates, and program compatibility. Linux is customizable, but it requires learning.
  • MacOS: Apple's macOS is secure, stable, and compatible with other Apple devices for platform transfers. However, migrating from Windows to macOS is expensive and time-consuming.
  • Cloud-Based Solutions: Chrome OS and virtual desktops lessen hardware dependence for businesses and individuals. Security, remote access, and upgrades are built into these platforms.

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers related to Windows 7​

1. Why is Windows 7 not recommended in 2024?​

Microsoft's lack of security patches and support makes Windows 7 not recommended in 2024. This exposes the system to cyber-attacks, viruses, and other security threats. Its software incompatibility and compliance difficulties make it less practical in the digital age.

2. Is it still possible to get Windows 7?​

Microsoft ceased selling Windows 7 years ago, so you can't legally buy one. To improve security and software compatibility, users should upgrade their operating system.

3. What should I do if I am still using Windows 7?​

Windows 7 users should update to Windows 10 or 11. If you want a different experience or reduced expenses, consider Linux or cloud-based alternatives.